PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR, EDITOR AND REPORT-WRITER
- Ivy League-educated, published translator with expertise in political science, international organizations, sociology, human rights and art history translation.
- Superior drafting, summarizing and editing skills in English and French. Broad experience leading and coordinating translation and report-writing teams.
- Exceptional communicator, natively bilingual with multicultural sensitivities; excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
Translator and Précis-Writer, United Nations Headquarters 2013–present
As a consultant, I translate documents across a broad range of technical, political, scientific, social, economic and legal issues from Spanish and French into English. I also prepare summary records for the meetings of several intergovernmental bodies including the General Assembly and the Economic and Social Council.
Freelance Translator, Editor and Linguistic Consultant,
Raillard Translations, LLC 2004–present
- I am natively bilingual in French and English and work from French and Spanish into English, as well as Spanish and English into French. I offer translation, editing, proofreading and foreign language and cultural consulting for international organizations, university presses, museums, authors, academics and non-profit organizations. I work in the following specializations: political science, international organizations, sociology, art history, and human rights.
French Language Project Manager, Translations.com 2011–2012
- I oversaw the entire lifecycle of translation projects (English to French), from finding external linguists, to proofreading, to file conversion, to delivery to client. I was responsible for a large number of commercial projects with national and international clients.
French Instructor and Course Coordinator, Columbia University 2005–2011
- I taught and coordinated language classes at levels ranging from beginner (1101) to advanced (3405) to undergraduates. I acted as the primary instructor and coordinated other instructors to design syllabi and exams.
- I taught practical translation classes to graduate students needing to obtain reading proficiency in French for research purposes.
- I designed and taught an advanced level translation class, which brought together elements of translation theory and practice as well as comparative translation and creative writing. I advised senior students on a final project examining dialectics and linguistic hybridization.
Columbia University, New York, NY
Ph.D., French and Romance Language Philology: 2011
M.Phil., French and Romance Language Philology: 2008
M.A., French and Romance Language Philology: 2006
Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY
B.A., Spanish and Creative Writing: 2004
Debreceni Nyári Egyetem, Debrecen, Hungary: 2008; 2009
Summer intensive language program in Hungarian
Certificate for 1st and 2nd intermediate levels with honors, 24 credit points (ECTS)
Paris IV-Sorbonne, Paris, France: 2001–2
Study abroad in Linguistics and Romance Language Philology
AWARDS AND HONORS
Second-place winner of the 12th annual Saint Jerome Translation Contest, United Nations, 2017
Teaching Fellowship awarded by Columbia University: 2010–11; 2005–8
Dissertation Writing Fellowship awarded by Columbia University: 2009–2010
Translator, Interpreter and Proofreader at doCip (Centre de documentation, de recherche et d’information pour les peuples autochtones): 2007–2012
- I worked seasonally as a translator, final eye reviewer/proofreader and interpreter during the yearly Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues at the United Nations.
Volunteer translator for El Observatorio de Derechos Humanos y Pueblos Indígenas: 2011–2015
- I translated documents from Spanish to French for the Observatorio, an indigenous peoples’ non-profit organization.
Reader for the National Translation Award, American Translators Association: 2012
- I reviewed translated books and submitted commentary to the prize selection committee.
Interpreter for the International Presentation Association of the Sisters of the Presentation at the CSW (Commission on the Status of Women), 2005
- I interpreted English to French during the 49th session of the CSW at the United Nations.
Language Skills: Native speaker of French and English; very high proficiency in Spanish; conversational proficiency in Italian, Portuguese and Hungarian. Reading proficiency in Latin and Ancient Greek. Currently learning Japanese.
Hobbies: Budding circus performer (aerial hoop and acrobatics); classically trained in flute (15+ years); amateur conlanger.
Member of the New York Circle of Translators
LinkedIn profile for Sarah-Louise Raillard
ProZ page for Sarah-Louise Raillard